Admission Counselor – Diversity Outreach
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
The Admission Counselor position is open to current Amherst College seniors or recent graduates. The Admission Counselor is a full-time, two-year term position, job group and level PT-1. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Admission Counselor is an integral position within the Admission Office and the Diversity Outreach team. The Counselor serves as one of the members of the admission committee and is a full contributor throughout the admission cycle. With the entire Admission Office, t he A dmission Counselor aims to recruit, admit, and enroll a t a l e nt e d a nd div er s e student body . As a member of the Diversity Outreach team, the Admission Counselor is a key innovator and implementer of world-class recruitment and yield programs. Recruitment tra v e l several weeks each year, in c ludi n g visits to high schools, community-based organizations, and student programs. Working with the Amherst College Office of Admission, and specifically, the Diversity Outreach Team requires a desire to engage on issues of antiracism and equity in educational opportunity. E v e nin g a nd w e e k e nd work sometimes re qui r ed. Term Position: Anticipated two-year appointment with a mid-appointment review.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Admission
- Review and evaluate thousands of applications for first-year admission
- Serve as a full voting member of the admission committee
- Lead information sessions for prospective students and families
- Regularly serve as a dean-on-duty, counseling walk-in visitors and answering elevated questions via phone and email
- Independently plan and schedule recruitment activities in regions across the United States
- Facilitate the day-to-day work of the Diversity Outreach Interns
- Provide primary support in the planning and execution of the April Admitted Student Open Houses, the Access to Amherst program, and the Early Overnight for Native Students program
- Managing the Overnight Student Hosting Program, overseeing the recruitment and training of student hosts, and facilitating the matching process
- Arrange events within our programs, such as student group programs and faculty panels
- Assist with the coordination of complex travel logistics and communication
- In collaboration with the Visitor Relations team, assist with tour guide and summer intern hiring, training, and management
- Assist with the execution of a Transfer Open House
- B ac h e lo r' s De g r e e from Amherst College
- V a lid D r i v er ' s L i c e ns e a nd s u c c e s s f ul c re d e nt i a l in g i s r e q u i r e d i n o r d e r to o p er a t e c o l l e ge v e h i c l e s
- Strong interpersonal skills; can work with current students and staff to bring to life programming that tells the story of Amherst College
- Strong written communication skills; via written correspondence can answer tough questions from students, parents, and counselors
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills; can prioritize and achieve multiple tasks
- Strong presentation skills; can compellingly translate what is special about Amherst College to an audience
- Proficiency in the use of technology and programs, such as Google Workspace and Microsoft Office
- Ability to exercise good judgment and think independently while working in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to articulate the b e n ef its of a lib e ra l ar ts e d u ca tion to a div er se a udi e n c e
- Excellent interpersonal, and verbal, and written communication skills and able to communicate effectively with varied constituencies, including prospective applicants, parents, high school counselors, alumni, faculty, and staff
- Excellent time - m a n a g e m e nt, p re s e nt a tion, a nd o r g a ni z a tion a l skills
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume, cover letter, and transcript online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . You may be asked to provide additional information including the name of an Amherst Faculty or Staff reference. Please be sure to upload all requested documents in the first step of the application process. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.