Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
Do you want to work for one of the top engineering firms in the country?
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. (SGH) is a national engineering firm that designs, investigates, and rehabilitates structures, building enclosures, and materials. Our award-winning work encompasses building, energy, civil/infrastructure, and science/defense projects in the United States, Canada, and more than thirty additional countries.
We want someone passionate about attention to detail and problem solving.
The in-house Digital Lab at SGH applies computational approaches to engineering practice in three areas of increasing complexity:
- automation and optimization of engineering tasks with data processing, analysis, transfer, and visualization,
- innovative project deliverables via interactive webpages providing unique analytical content, and
- machine learning across our full range of engineering services, in particular related to our legal expert witness projects and our unique in-house Physical Testing Lab.
A team member of the SGH Digital Lab under the direction of a project team and in collaboration with engineers, architects, project managers, the Developer (similar to a Computational Designer role listed at some firms) will assist with the creation of 3D models and architectural and/or sculptural models, develop web-based applications, and work with engineers on a variety of architectural projects.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Work with other Digital Lab members and alongside SGH engineers and scientists and to develop digital tools and solutions for project-specific needs on time and within the allocated budget.
- Create parametric and scripted computational control for 3D architectural and/or sculptural models such that both geometric and technical aspects are defined and variable.
- Produce designs for a wide range of options of structures or objects at various scales during the concept phase of a project.
- Develop computational scripts to achieve augmentations / automations of tasks typically performed by in-house engineers and improve efficiency and automation of workflows.
- Generate computational scripts and/or tools to achieve interoperability between various commercial software from different vendors. This will require knowledge and ability across visual, geometric, and analytical software packages API that are not normally compatible with each other. Examples of this would include Script to link Rhino / Revit to SAP / Tekla Structure (structural analysis) and Energy-Plus / DIVA (energy / daylighting analysis).
- Develop web-based applications for access by multiple participants in a design process including front-end UI/UX designs and/or Web GL controls to utilize 3D geometry in a web browser.
- Work with teams and other employees of various technical backgrounds on structural, material, building envelope, and building science projects which may also include working on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) projects.
- Provide QA/QC for own work with oversight and final review from supervisor or project manager.
- Travel to other SGH offices to work with staff on projects; typically once every 2-3 months.
What You'll Need:
- Masters degree in Civil/Architectural Engineering or a program with Computational Design equivalency and 2 years of experience with architectural/engineering design, including 3D modeling software (Revit and/or Rhino) and parametric control of the software (Dynamo and/or Grasshopper),
-- OR --
- Bachelors degree and 5+ years of experience.
- Scripting ability in C# and understanding of object oriented programming.
- Desirable but not necessary:
- App development using Swift or similar
- Understanding in machine learning and computer vision related algorithms such as pattern recognition (PR), neural networks, evolutionary computation, deep learning (DL), expert systems etc.
Why You'll Like Working at SGH:
- Our work: Our clients trust us with their most challenging projects and we leverage our collective expertise to deliver exceptional results. At SGH, you will develop innovative solutions for the built environment by working with industry thought leaders and accessing the latest in testing, research, and technology.
- Our people: We are people of high character and diverse talents who are committed to lifelong learning and professional growth. As part of our team, you will join peers who love solving difficult problems and strive to be outstanding in everything they do.
- Our commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back. Here, you can help advance our profession by contributing to industry organizations, committees, standards, and procedures. Within our communities, we strive to improve neighborhoods and mentor our future leaders.
- Our contribution: At SGH, you have access to a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH has 600 employees and offices in Boston; Chicago; Houston; New York City; San Francisco; Southern California; and Washington, DC.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email email@example.com.