Dish Room Attendant
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Dish Room Attendant. The Dish Room Attendant position is a full-time, 40 hour, year round position, $16.71 per hour. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
***This position is eligible for a Hiring Bonus of up to $1500.00 (payable after three months of service).
The Dish Room Attendant supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the diverse campus community with excellent service and production of our menus. This position assists the culinary team with the care and cleaning of all utensils for the kitchen and implementation of menu items. This individual takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The Kitchen Assistant supports the efforts of Dining Services to provide the campus community with excellent quality and customer service. The assistant maintains safe, clean, orderly, and sanitary conditions, as well as assist with the execution of food and beverage service within the Dining Commons. The assistant takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
. The work schedule may vary and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Sunday through Thursday 1:00 pm - 9:30 pm. The Dish Room Assistant position is part of essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty, even when the college is closed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support Serving Area
- Prepare and maintain the stations within the servery
- Maintain the appropriate quantities of food in warmers and on the serving lines
- Respond to calls to adequately support the needs of the business
- Removes empty pans
- Communicates clearly between the Kitchen and the Front of House Staff
- Support the culinary team with food preparation as needed
- Maintain a high level of sanitation
- Monitor and maintain an adequate supply of products
Cleaning, organizing, maintenance
- Clean surfaces and other food contact areas
- Organize food in warmers
- Reports issues with equipment to appropriate supervisory staff
Pe r f or m o t h er d u ti e s /f u n cti on s as r e q u este d .
All employees are expected to participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
R e quir e d:
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills including the ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Excellent customer service, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Strong time-management skills including the ability to multi-task and function efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including working occasional evening shifts and overtime including during days off
- Basic math and computer skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and lift test
P r e f e r r e d:
- Food service experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing in order to operate college vehicles
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.