Field Support Technician- Judicial Information Systems
Title: Field Support Technician- Judicial Information Systems
Pay Grade:Grade 17
Starting Pay: $ 73,753.54
Departmental Mission Statement: Enhance access to justice through the effective use of technology. Partner with Judges and all Court Staff to use technology to speed the delivery of justice. Build a culture that values transparency, collaboration, inclusivity and continuous improvement.
Notes:This position is designated as a union position and is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement with O.P.E.I.U., Local 6.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14days.
This position will be responsible for providing technical support throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and reports out of the Boston office. Successful candidates will need to travel to court locations using a court-provided vehicle on regular basis.
Position Summary:As a staff member of the Judicial Information Services Department (JISD) of the Trial Court, the Field Support Technician has the responsibility for providing on-site technical support to judges, court staff, and others in resolving user problems or issues. The Field Support Technician maintains, analyzes, troubleshoots, and repairs computer systems, hardware, software, and computer peripherals. The position also documents, maintains, upgrades, or replaces hardware and software systems and assists in asset management.
Supervision Received:Reports to the JIS Deputy Director for Support Services or that person's management designee and receives direction in performing duties in accordance with established guidelines
Duties: • Installs, configures, and upgrades operating systems and software, using standard business and administrative packages; may modify specific applications for use in operational departments.
• Installs, assembles, and configures computers, monitors, network infrastructure and peripherals, such as printers, scanners, and related hardware; pulls cables and rewires or directs the rewiring of cables as required for new installations and office reconfiguration.
• Troubleshoots problems with computer systems, including troubleshooting hardware and software, e-mail, network, and peripheral equipment problems; makes repairs and corrections where required.
• Acts as a technical resource in assisting users to resolve problems with equipment and data; staffs a centralized help desk to facilitate exchange of information and advice; implements solutions or notifies outsource providers as required.
• Makes hardware and software acquisition recommendations including helping users assess needs and providing justification for equipment and services.
• Assists in instructing Trial Court personnel in the use of standard business and administrative software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and database management; provides instruction or written documentation where required.
• Assists with the planning, design, research, and acquisition of new or upgraded hardware and software systems; maintains current knowledge of hardware, software and network technology and recommends modifications as necessary.
• Works with the Fiscal Department to assist in effective Information Technology asset management. Performs related duties as required.
Job Competencies:All applicants must be able, through the interview process, to prove efficiency in the following areas:
Ethics and Values Communicates and demonstrates the ethics and values of the Judicial Branch.
Mission Understands, upholds, and communicates the Judicial Branch and Information Services missions.
Applied Knowledge Understands information services operations, computer hardware and software, with some understanding of the various court departments and divisions Continuous
Learning Demonstrates a commitment to continuously improve their knowledge of fast-changing computer programs, hardware and software through professional development.
Commitment to Diversity Promotes an environment of diversity through understanding, respect, and positive communication with persons of varies racial, ethnic, economic and cultural backgrounds.
Customer Service Conducts oneself in a courteous and professional manner when assisting all employees of the Judiciary, regardless of their position in the Judiciary.
Collaboration Works with others cooperatively, demonstrating a willingness to be a team player, and contributing to a work environment that focuses on shared departmental goals.
Problem Solving Accurately assesses workplace problems in TCIS and recommends and facilitates appropriate solutions.
Minimum Requirements: These are the minimum requirements necessary to be considered for the position of Field Support Technician:
Education and Experience:
• Equivalent to completion of two years of college-level coursework in computer science, information technology or a related field and two years of general computer installation, maintenance, and repair experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
• Knowledge of: Computer hardware, software, and peripherals such as PC's, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, servers, cabling, network systems, and printers; procedures for installing, configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting, and repairing applicable software, hardware, and peripherals; principles, practices, hardware, and software related to the establishment and maintenance of LAN's and WAN's and techniques for explaining technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users.
• Skill in: Installing, configuring and upgrading operations systems and software, using primarily standard financial, business and administrative application practices; installing, configuring, assembling and repairing computers, monitors, network infrastructure and peripherals such as printers and related hardware; troubleshooting and solving hardware and software problems; instructing users on new or upgraded computer applications and hardware; using initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines and procedures; imaging software such as Ghost; organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical time deadlines; and, communicating effectively with co-workers, subordinates, superiors, the general public, representatives of public and private organizations and others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
• Ability to analyze technical problems and to develop feasible solutions;
• Must be able to physically lift and move computers, printers, and associated hardware.
Closing Date/Time: 2024-01-31