Maintenance Tech-Dorchester Division of the BMC
Title: Maintenance Tech-Dorchester Division of the BMC
Pay Grade: Grade 9
Departmental Mission Statement:
The Facilities Management and Capital Planning Department is committed to maintaining a safe and dignified environment for court operations, and doing so in a manner which adopts best practices and inspires public confidence; and to provide access to justice, through the capital improvement of life safety, security and structural integrity of court facilities that are owned by the Commonwealth.
Facilities Management & Capital Planning Department:
Notes:This position is designated as a union position and is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement with O.P.E.I.U., Local 6.
This position will have travelling to the following court locations: Roxbury Division of BMC, West Roxbury Division of BMC, Dorchester Division of BMC, Brighton Division of BMC
Position Summary:• This series is responsible for assisting in a range of skilled trades duties for both licensed and unlicensed trades.
• Duties focus on the application of complex materials and compounds consistent with general contracting work.
• Other duties include providing assistance in repairing, installing, and testing various types of systems and equipment.
• A classification above the entry level requires the performance of increasingly more responsible and complex work which requires advanced skill and experience.
• Employees are appointed at the entry level and are eligible for reclassification to the higher grade within this series consistent with the requirements in the job description.
• The position title reverts to the entry level of this series when there is a vacancy.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Receives moderate supervision from the Facilities Supervisor in performing structured but not always routine work.
• Moderate judgment is required.
Maintenance Technician I - This is the entry level position title within this series.
• Employees at this level are expected to perform minor repairs and improvements in a variety of trades under the direction of a building or maintenance supervisor.
• Maintenance Technician II - This is the second level position title within this series.
• Employees at this level are expected begin to develop a trade of expertise utilized by the Court Facilities Bureau and have the ability to work independently in the performance of standard maintenance and repairs.
Maintenance Technician I Duties: The following list of major duties represents a composite list of typical duties performed by individuals in this position.
• Specific duties performed by an incumbent will vary depending upon the Division and the department within the Division:
• Assists in servicing and replacing minor plumbing fixtures.
• Performs minor electrical work not requiring a licensed electrician such as replacing light bulbs and fuses.
• Assists in minor carpentry and repair work.
• Maintain machinery, equipment, and tools by cleaning, lubricating, greasing, and oiling, to ensure optimum working order.
• Applies paint, varnish, and stain to all types of surfaces in order to protect and beautify surfaces using appropriate tools and equipment; and performs related duties as required.
• Maintenance Technician II Duties: Performs preventive maintenance and makes repairs to heating, ventilating, air conditioning equipment according to instructions such as replacing belts on motors, changing filters, bearings, etc.
• Maintains and makes routine repairs to electrically powered equipment and appliances according to instruction from senior technicians and equipment service manual.
• Apply carpentry techniques and using carpentry tools to construct, alter, repair, and/or install walls, stairs, floors, ceiling, windows, doors, roofs, gutters, and locks.
• Perform structural repair, alterations, or improvement work such as preparing surfaces for plaster or cement work; studding, wiring, and plastering walls.
• Install glass in doors and windows; All duties covered under Maintenance Technician I; and performs related duties as required.
Job Competencies:All applicants must be able, through the interview process, to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following areas.
• Ethics and Values: Communicates and demonstrates the ethics and values of the Court Facilities Department and the Trial Court.
• Mission: Understands, upholds, and communicates the Trial Court and Court Facilities Department missions. Applied Knowledge Understands standard facility management methods, codes, and operational best practices.
• Problem Solving: Accurately assesses maintenance problems of a routine nature and initiates corrective action.
• Continuous Learning: Demonstrates a commitment to continuously improve himself or herself through training and making use of new methods and equipment.
• Commitment to Diversity: Promotes an environment of diversity through understanding, respect, and positive communication with persons of varied racial, ethnic, economic, and cultural backgrounds.
• Customer Service: Contributes to a departmental environment emphasizing conduct that is courteous and professional toward both Trial Court employees and the public.
• Collaboration: Works with others cooperatively, and demonstrates teamwork, contributing to a work environment that focuses on shared goals.
Minimum Requirements: These are the minimum requirements necessary to apply for the position of Maintenance Technician:
• Maintenance Technician I Requirements: A high school diploma and at least one year of general building repair and maintenance; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge in a variety of trade areas common to the field of building maintenance
• Knowledge of the use and operation of hand tools, power tools, and equipment
• Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
• Ability to climb and work on scaffolds and ladders, Physical stamina, and endurance.
• Additional Requirements for Maintenance Technician II: A minimum of two years' experience working at the entry level.
• A demonstration of competence and expertise in an area of specialization consistent with licensed and unlicensed trades utilized by the Court Facilities Bureau
• The acquisition of a trade or technical license where applicable is preferred.
• Ability to give direction and instruction to senior staff.
Closing Date/Time: 2022-08-09