Medical Assistant – Growing Elder Care Services Program – Leominster
Medical Assistant - Growing Elder Care Services Program - Leominster
Job ID: 5878
Type: Full Time
# of Openings: 1
Category: Care Coordination
Summit ElderCare - Leominster
About Fallon Health
Founded in 1977, Fallon Health is a leading health care services organization that supports the diverse and changing needs of those we serve. In addition to offering innovative health insurance solutions and a variety of Medicaid and Medicare products, we excel in creating unique health care programs and services that provide coordinated, integrated care for seniors and individuals with complex health needs. Fallon has consistently ranked among the nation's top health plans, and is accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance for its HMO, Medicare Advantage and Medicaid products. For more information, visit fallonhealth.org.
About Summit ElderCare :
Fallon Health operates the largest Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) in New England and the fifth largest in the country. Called Summit ElderCare, Fallon's PACE helps provide older adults and their caregivers with a welcome alternative to nursing home care. Participants in Summit ElderCare have access to comprehensive medical services and social support at a Summit ElderCare site while they keep the independence of living in their own homes and communities.
The clinical assistant performs clinical and administrative duties under the direction of the Clinical Nurse Manager, assists the MD/DO, NP and/or RN in administering care and treatment to participants including but not limited to phlebotomy and EKG in an expeditious, courteous and professional manner, facilitating a smooth flow of healthcare practices, providing basic and direct care to participants as directed, and ensuring a good patient care experience in the PACE clinic.
- Verifies patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Prepares patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking baseline vitals; reporting patient history summary.
- Secures patient information and maintains patient confidentiality by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient information confidential.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock and reporting to Clinical Manager when below PAR levels;
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Serves and protects the medical practice by adhering to professional standards, policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Demonstrates an ability to relate well to participants; anticipates their needs and encourages independence.
- Carries out clinical tasks such as assessment of vital signs, urine testing, foot care, simple dressings, catheter care, CD bag changes, hot packs and delivery of laboratory specimens.
- Assists participants in completion of PT/OT maintenance therapy program including, but not limited to, exercises and ambulation, as assigned.
- Documents all care rendered in the electronic medical record.
- Works as a member of the clinical team to provide high quality, timely service to patients.
- Prepares patient for examination by the PACE medical provider
- Identifies and reports emergency situations to nursing and provider personnel, applies first aid as necessary and assists as his/her competency will allow.
- Provides care appropriate to patient population served.
- Utilizes knowledge to provide services under established organization and department policies and procedures
- Reviews, understands, and adheres to all department policies and procedures.
- Tracks all lab requests and future lab draws.
- Final lab copies are given to designated provider.
- Obtains routine and emergency blood samples by veni-puncture in accordance with established quality control procedures both at the PACE center and in the participant's home, as needed.
- Tracks all results and charts labs in the electronic medical record.
Education: High School Diploma, completion of qualified phlebotomy course and internship
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) with CPR, EKG, and phlebotomy certification required
Minimum 1 year working with elderly population
- Demonstrates commitment to the Fallon Health Mission, Values and Vision.
- Specific competencies essential to this position:
- Bladder Scanning
- Vital Signs
- Simple Dressing Changes
- Urine Testing
- Foot Care