Title: Performance Analyst
Pay Grade: Grade 17
Starting Pay:$ 72,307.39
Departmental Mission Statement:Given our unique responsibility to advance the fair administration of justice, the Boston Municipal Court Department is devoted to the rule of law through the conscientious and expeditious resolution of disputes, with a commitment to restoring the human spirit through correction, education, respect and compassion.
BOSTON MUNICIPAL COURT ORGANIZATIONAL PROFILE:
Notes:This position is designated as a union position and is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement with O.P.E.I.U., Local 6.
Position Summary:The position includes administrative and organizational duties to assist the Chief Justice, the Deputy Court Administrator and the Administrative Office of the Boston Municipal Court Department (BMC) in evaluating court methods, practices and procedures in the 8 Boston Municipal Court Divisions, identifying needed improvements and providing administrative and technical assistance to accomplish those improvements. Performance Analysts will assist with all Boston Municipal Court initiatives.
Candidates will be expected to perform statistical analysis and to streamline the operations of the BMC through the innovative use of technology, and to possess a keen interest in the law and the delivery of justice. Additionally, candidates will possess a commitment to public service. The position requires discretion in handling confidential matters in a professional and sensitive manner.
Supervision Received:Receives assignments and direction from the Chief Justice and the Deputy Court Administrator and works closely with other administrative staff. Work is supervised by the Deputy Court Administrator and is evaluated for professional soundness, conformity to policy, and achievement of objectives.
- Works closely with the Chief Justice and the Deputy Court Administrator in supporting the day-to-day operations of the Boston Municipal Court Department including drafting memoranda, reports, and other communications;
- Communicates clearly and concisely as a representative of the Chief Justice and the Deputy Court Administrator;
- Works with administrative office staff in training, system implementation, and provides ongoing staff support for technical systems including the MassCourts case management system;
- Performs studies and operational analysis of court practices, procedures and data quality;
- Recommends policies and procedures for the Department in the area of case management to the Deputy Court Administrator and the Chief Justice;
- Responsible for the timely and accurate collection, maintenance, analysis and reporting of statistical data to ensure compliance with the goals of expedition and timeliness in the disposition of cases;
- Uses analytical skills to identify case management best practices, assist in developing benchmarks for case processing and ensures that communication within the department regarding each is consistent, timely, and accurate;
- Assists in developing and supporting the implementation of uniform procedural processes throughout the Department to ensure efficient case management and accurate data collection;
- Maintains the database for the Boston Municipal Court's Performance Metrics, requiring proficiency with Microsoft Access and Excel as well as the Trial Court's Mass Courts case processing system;
- Prepares and disseminates departmental metrics to First Justices and Clerk -Magistrates to monitor and improve case flow management;
- Prepares and disseminates reports related to performance metrics and may provide support with case flow metrics at various court divisions in order to monitor and improve case flow management;
- Maintains the Department's internal and external web presence; and
- Participates in and provides support on Administrative Office projects;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Job Competencies:All applicants must be able, through the interview process, to prove efficiency in the following areas:
Ethics and Values: Communicates and demonstrates the ethics and values of the Massachusetts Trial Court.
Mission: Understands, upholds, and communicates the Boston Municipal Court Department mission.
Applied Knowledge: Ability to assist in the implementation of management reporting tools for purpose of evaluating case management activities and initiatives utilizing an electronic database.
Problem Solving: Accurately can assess operational and administrative problems in the BMC Department and develop feasible solutions.
Customer Service: Conducts oneself in a courteous and professional manner towards both Trial Court employees and the public. Responsive to court operational needs.
Collaboration: Works with others cooperatively, accepts feedback, demonstrates a willingness to be a team player, and contributes to a work environment that focuses on shared departmental goals.
Communications: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with court officials, judges, employees and government agencies employees.
Continuous Learning: Demonstrates a commitment to continuously improving himself or herself through professional development.
Minimum Requirements: These are the minimum requirements necessary to apply for the position of Performance Analyst:
- Bachelor's degree and 2 years of relevant administrative experience using data and research methods in courts or other public or private sector organizations;
- Considerable proficiency using computers, database applications and related software, including the ability to use MS Access, MS Outlook and other Microsoft Office Applications;
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Familiarity with process improvement methodologies;
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Knowledge of Adobe forms creation software and business intelligence software such as Tableau is a plus;
- Understands the need for discretion and confidentiality in the workplace;
- Ability to work with others and maintain a professional and friendly working environment;
- Ability to assist court staff in supporting the Mission of the Boston Municipal Court Department;
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances and action plans;
- Willingness to identify and propose new practices and techniques to enhance the operations of the Boston Municipal Court Department;
- Self-motivation and a commitment to continuing professional development;
- Confidence to ask questions and assume responsibilities as they arise;
- Ability to travel to court locations throughout the Department.
Closing Date/Time: 2022-08-23