Registered Dietitian – Part Time
Registered Dietitian - Part Time
Job ID: 5902
Type: Part Time
# of Openings: 1
Summit Eldercare Grove Street Worcester
About Fallon Health
Founded in 1977, Fallon Health is a leading health care services organization that supports the diverse and changing needs of those we serve. In addition to offering innovative health insurance solutions and a variety of Medicaid and Medicare products, we excel in creating unique health care programs and services that provide coordinated, integrated care for seniors and individuals with complex health needs. Fallon has consistently ranked among the nation's top health plans, and is accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance for its HMO, Medicare Advantage and Medicaid products. For more information, visit fallonhealth.org.
About Summit ElderCare:
Fallon Health operates the largest Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) in New England and the fifth largest in the country. Called Summit ElderCare, Fallon's PACE helps provide older adults and their caregivers with a welcome alternative to nursing home care. Participants in Summit ElderCare have access to comprehensive medical services and social support at a Summit ElderCare site while they keep the independence of living in their own homes and communities.
Brief Summary of purpose: Under the direction of the SE Site Director, the Dietitian is responsible for the provision and coordination of nutritional care of patients. Evaluates and interprets current nutrition research and disseminates this information to patients, support staff and healthcare providers. Develops and conducts nutrition education programs for patients, staff, community organizations and the local business community.
Part Time 30 hours per week
8:30 to 3:00 Monday through Friday
- Performs age appropriate nutrition assessments, evaluation and education for patient base
- Demonstrates proficiency in age/condition specific appropriate nutrition history taking including presenting condition, past medical/nutritional history.
- Performs assessment of client's readiness for change and adjusts education goals as appropriate. Requests lab studies when indicated. Discriminates between normal and abnormal lab findings in order to develop nutrition education plan.
- Establishes age appropriate plan of nutrition care related to patient's identified problem, including medication, nutrition history, education level and socioeconomic status, etc. Consults with other health care team members regarding nutrition care plan as necessary. Implements plan in safe and effective manner.
- Documents visit in concise, clear, logical manner. Evaluates need and/or time for follow-up.
- Recommends appropriate referrals when necessary. Evaluates effectiveness of previously implemented nutrition education/treatment.
- Develops and provides educational materials and/or programs to patients, families, healthcare professionals. Interprets current nutrition research for patients and healthcare staff.
- Accepts responsibility for minimizing risk management. Educates patients and staff regarding drug-nutrient interaction. Alerts appropriate medical staff of need for immediate intervention of high-risk patients. Initiates and coordinates team meeting for high-risk patients.
- Enhances professional growth and self-development through participation in professional activities, educational programs, current literature review, in-service program, and workshops.
- Participates in defining nutrition standards, practices and educational needs of staff who care for the patient population. Participates in nutrition research. Serves on appropriate healthcare system committees.
- Provides cross-coverage for other SE sites as needed to cover absences, etc.
- Develops and conducts continuing education programs for healthcare providers.
- Complies with health and safety requirements and with regulatory agencies such as DPH, etc.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Enhances professional growth and development through educational programs, seminars, etc.
- Attends a variety of meetings, conferences, and seminars as required or directed.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
Masters degree in nutrition specialty from an accredited college/university preferred
Active R.D. status with the American Dietetic Association
Valid Driver's License and Clean Driving Record Required
1-3 years nutrition experience in a health care facility or company
Proven experience developing and conducting group nutrition programs