Senior Capital Projects Manager
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Senior Capital Projects Manager position. The Senior Capital Projects Manager is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level PT-4. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community with regard to race, ethnicity, ability, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
Assume leadership of project management for large and/or complex capital projects with significant levels of autonomy in most project management matters. Guide processes through excellent judgment and depth of experience balancing College priorities for best overall outcome. Responsible from project initiation through completion of construction and occupancy. Serve as primary project liaison and manager and the project's point of contact for College administration through early phases of project conceptualization, consultant selection processes, diversity goal setting, early budgeting and scheduling. Point of contact with all stakeholders on campus. Primary representative for the college when working with designers, consultants, vendors, contractors, legal counsel, accountants and local and state officials. Manage contractual term negotiation process, construction bidding process, and ensure performance of contractors and consultants. Negotiate change orders with contractors, monitor implications with project schedule, and manage consultants' construction administration process and % of diverse work hours for compliance with contract specifications and project close-out process.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Planning - Provide analysis and recommendations re: strategic aspects associated with assigned projects for collaborative strategic decision-making process with supervisor. Guide other College consistencies in their roles relative to the projects, helping others to act strategically for the best overall success.
- Facilitate Programming and Design Processes - Take on leadership role, leading administration, campus community and specific stakeholders throughout the planning and design phases of projects to ensure appropriate involvement into programming and design processes, managing cost analyses, supporting the establishment of contracts with consultants and vendors, establishing diversity goals, facilitating communication between all parties involved, documenting and maintaining records of documentation of issues, analyses, and decisions. Collaborate with/report to supervisor throughout. Support the planning and design process through analysis utilizing professional experience in the Architecture/Engineering/Construction (AEC) industry.
- Oversee Construction Administration - Serve as primary project liaison and manager for major/complex capital projects. Ensure performance of contractors, consultants, etc. through constant comparison of work to contractual obligation. Identify potential cost-saving opportunities throughout the construction process as well as appropriate additional work that is in the best interest of the College. Manage the Request for Information process, ensuring timely response from all parties involved. Work with contractors, consultants, etc. to meet diversity goals and monitor compliance. Oversee change orders with contractors, monitor implications with project schedule, analyze for compliance with contract specifications. Also, manage the inconveniences associated with construction to the best overall benefit of the College. Oversee and process all required forms and documentation required to close out projects both fiscally and physically.
- Budget Development and Management - Develop project budgets including construction and soft costs, manage estimating processes with consultants and construction managers. Populate and maintain job cost accounting (jca) system for each assigned project maintaining real-time analyses projecting estimate-at-completion in ongoing manner. Develop and manage cost-containment strategies including suggested value- engineering, scope alteration as necessary to maintain budget. Report status regularly.
- Schedule and Resource Management Process - Schedule and manage design and construction process with both College personnel and outsourced resources to the projects. Monitor the process of design and decision-making, watching for schedule, cost implications as well as decisions that may be counter to College- wide standards or goals. Manage involvement of various college constituents as required including communication of processes to ensure appropriate level of involvement and timely interactions to maintain overall schedule. Track multiple project schedules.
- Bidding, Procurement, and Contracting - Manage construction bidding processes for consistent distribution of information and College goals, including diversity goals. Performs analysis of contractor bids for capital projects. Coordinate, review and oversee contracting for construction and materials/equipment procurement. Legal term review, negotiation, and documentation working with legal counsel.
- Bachelor degree in A/E/C area
- 10 years minimum experience managing building capital projects
- 3 years minimum experience managing large and/or complex building capital projects
- Strong written and verbal communication, problem-solving skills
- Experience with or commitment to working with a diverse community
- An acceptable criminal offender records information (CORI) check
- Masters degree in A/E/C area; project management certificate; building efficiency-related certification
- Project management experience as owner's representative role
- Experience in higher education projects
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents in the first step of the application process. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.