Senior Consulting Engineer- Structures
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
Position: Senior Consulting Engineer - Structures
Job Type : Full Time
Education : Masters Degree
Category : Engineering
Job Description :
Perform engineering work associated with design, investigation, and rehabilitation of a variety of structures. Job duties include the following:
- Organize, review, and analyze documents related to the design and construction with various material types including steel, wood, masonry, and concrete.
- Model and analyze structural elements and systems to validate visual observations, assess as-built structures, design repairs, etc. by using advanced software such as ETABS, SAP etc.
- Develop building structural systems, both gravity and lateral.
- Assist in developing and designing repairs for distressed structures and provide support as repairs are implemented.
- Build and edit computer models of building frames using commercial software and extract the design information to import into computer aided drafting software such as BIM, Revit and AutoCAD.
- Complete condition assessments and evaluations of existing structures.
- Execute testing protocol for field investigations using a combination of visual assessment, non-destructive testing, destructive testing, and/or laboratory testing.
- Troubleshoot and remediate problems arising during construction.
- Plan and estimate work and manpower requirements; control budget.
- Review contracts under the supervision of Senior Project Managers and Principals in the firm.
- Manage major and minor design projects from beginning to end.
- Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- Communicate and explain engineering concepts, investigation findings, and recommendations in reports and verbal presentations.
- Prepare contract documents for structural design projects including technical specifications and construction drawings.
- Write reports on visual observations and recommendations from field visits during construction to share with client.
- Assist with developing and managing client relationships.
- Help develop less experienced engineers through coaching and mentoring.
- Master of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- 6 years of experience in structural design of industrial structures. Experience must include concrete, steel, masonry and wood frame structures; using computer analysis software, including RISA, ANSYS and COMSOL; performing independent calculations and analyses; writing reports and preparing drawings and specifications; and assisting with client communications.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license required.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email email@example.com.