Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Server position. The Server is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level AO-1 ($17.71). Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Server supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the diverse campus community with excellent service and production of our menus. This position assists the diverse culinary team with the production and implementation of menu items. This individual takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The Dining Services Server, having knowledge of all ingredients, is committed to quality and excellent customer service. The Server works on the food lines and/or other service areas as assigned. Ensures all food items, proper serving utensils, and menu signage are ready for service; and cleans the line during and after service. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Sunday through Thursday, 12:30 - 9:00 pm. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and as such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up food lines with the needed utensils and equipment prior to meal service. Call for all needed items to the culinary team. Effectively collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues and students. Engage with customers by promoting local foods and newly featured menu items. Serves entrees and sides to our guests, cleans and maintains serving areas.
- Retrieve supplies and restock necessary food items for the food stations.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the supervisor and or manager on duty, including but not limited to, light cleaning, table wiping, and other sanitation duties.
- Basic math skills
- Strong time management skills including the ability to follow verbal and written communications
- Excellent customer service skills, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Able to work extra shifts and/or overtime if needed
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and lift test
- High school or vocational school diploma/certification or equivalent
- Previous food service experience
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure itmeets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.