Supervisor of Electrical Shop
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Electrical Shop Supervisor position. The Electrical Shop Supervisor is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level SM-3. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
Provide management and supervision of Amherst College's electrical shop. Direct and administer the continuous and ongoing maintenance and operations of the college's electrical systems. Partner with the Director of Facilities Operations in strategic planning and development of long-term goals and objectives for the electrical shop. Support the college's sustainability goals, including a carbon-neutral campus in 2030. Provide 24-hour availability to be contacted for the resolution of emergencies related to electrical systems.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Train and supervise staff, approve projects, supervise outside contract support, select contractors, negotiate, formulate, and administer contracts, as well as conduct pre and post-inspections. Oversee electrical systems and local network communication systems.
• Assist the Director of Facilities Operations with planning, scheduling, and controlling costs, as well as with short-range projects, equipment, preventive maintenance, and contract planning. Prepare cost estimates for all electrical and communication systems. Identify energy conservation projects and partner with Design & Construction on specifications and utility company for rebate opportunities.
• Perform new electrical installations, respond to and execute emergency calls, and complete electrical work orders related to electrical systems and local network communication systems.
• Prepare and manage the Electrical Shop budget, purchase and maintain inventory control of all electrical material and supplies, as well as coordinate upgrade of materials for cost-effective management. Process, prioritize, coordinate, and schedule projects and work orders, as well as establish and maintain customer relations throughout the campus community.
• Massachusetts Master Electrician License, Security System License, valid driver's license, and successful credentialing are required in order to operate college vehicles, an acceptable criminal offender records information (CORI) check.
• Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in electrical systems and personnel management commensurate with the size and complexity of Amherst College electrical systems and associated electrical shop operations.
• Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and lift test
• Associate's or Bachelor's degree
• 10+ years' experience. Experience working in higher education or similar institution
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents in the first step of the application process. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.